Former UFC fighter target of alleged shooting plot

Former UFC fighter target of alleged shooting plot

A mixed martial arts event in Sydney has been put on hold amid police concerns that a former UFC fighter could be the target of an alleged assassination attempt.

Suman Mokhtarian, who fought twice in the UFC for two defeats, was due to act as a coach at the Dark Matter Fighting Championship at Warwick Farm in southwest Sydney on April 19. But NSW Police have since intervened, forcing the cancellation of the event due to their belief that Mokhtarian could be the subject of a gangland hit.

Sydney radio station 2GB first reported the news on Thursday morning (Australian Eastern Daylight time), with Dark Matter promoter Andrew Delmas later telling morning host Ben Fordham that he was hopeful of finding a resolution so the event could yet proceed.

“I see their [police] position, but I feel like I’m the meat in the sandwich here,” Delmas said.

“It’s very difficult, these type of events are extremely difficult to put together … it takes months of work.”

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, NSW Police wrote to Delmas last week revealing they had “come to the conclusion there is a serious risk to public safety should this event take place.” Following that, the NSW Combat Sports Authority advised Delmas it would not be issuing a permit for the Dark Matter event to proceed.

Delmas told 2GB that police held concerns for some of the fighters on the card, despite those individuals having previously been vetted by the NSW Combat Sports Authority.

Mokhtarian was the target of a previous alleged assassination attempt outside the Australian Top Team gym in the Sydney suburb of Wentworthwille in February 2024. The gunman, allegedly disguised as a delivery driver, opened fire on Mokhtarian before later being arrested and charged with attempted murder, according to 2GB. He is currently out on bail.

Mokhtarian suffered back-to-back UFC featherweight defeats in 2018 and 2019, the latter bringing down the curtain on a mixed martial arts career that also included a stint on Season 27 of “The Ultimate Fighter.”

According to the Daily Telegraph, Mokhtarian owns Australian Top Team with his brother, Ashkan, who was arrested on drug supply charges in November 2023. Ashkan Mokhtarian later unsuccessfully lodged an appeal for bail that would have allowed him to attend a drug rehabilitation facility.

Ashkan Mokhtarian also suffered back-to-back defeats in a two-fight UFC career in 2017.

Suman Mokhtarian told 2GB he would not attend the Dark Matter fight night if it meant the event could proceed.


Source link

Oh hi there 👋
It’s nice to meet you.

Sign up to receive awesome content in your inbox, every week.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

More From Author

Netanyahu arrives in Hungary for talks despite ICC arrest warrant

Netanyahu arrives in Hungary for talks despite ICC arrest warrant

Rubio Visits NATO Amid European Alarm Over Trump’s Agenda

Rubio Visits NATO Amid European Alarm Over Trump’s Agenda

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *