Óscar Arias Sánchez, the Nobel laureate and former Costa Rican president, said on Tuesday that the United States had revoked his visa to enter the country, with no reason given.
A vocal critic of President Trump, Mr. Arias appears to be the most high profile in a string of individuals who have had their visas canceled or been denied entry as the Trump administration bars people who it says have “hostile attitudes” toward the United States.
Mr. Arias, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1987 for brokering a plan to end the civil wars in Central America, said he had received a short email from the U.S. government informing him that his visa had been revoked.
At a news conference in San José, the capital of Costa Rica, he said that the email, which he received Tuesday morning, cited Section 221(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, which allows the secretary of state and consular officials to revoke visas at their discretion.
The U.S. State Department did not immediately respond to requests for comment, nor did the Costa Rican government.
“I don’t know why they have revoked my visa,” Mr. Arias said at the news conference. “I don’t know if the revoking of my visa is some sort of punishment, because I say what I think.”
Mr. Arias has been critical of the Trump administration on social media. In February, he wrote on Facebook that Mr. Trump behaved like “a Roman emperor, telling the rest of the world what to do.”
“If someone wants to punish me in the hopes of silencing me, that isn’t going to work,” Mr. Arias said on Tuesday. He said that he did not have plans to travel to the United States, and did not provide information about what kind of visa he had and when it was set to expire.
Mr. Arias, who was president of Costa Rica from 1986 to 1990 and from 2006 to 2010, is one of the country’s senior statesmen and runs a foundation that promotes peace and democracy.
The Trump administration has moved to deport some foreign residents and students who have taken part in campus protests against Israel’s war on Gaza, or may have been critical of the United States.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio has ordered diplomats to scrutinize the social media posts of some visa applicants. A cable sent to overseas missions on March 25, stated that applicants can be denied a visa if their behavior or actions show they bear “a hostile attitude toward U.S. citizens or U.S. culture (including government, institutions, or founding principles).”
Mr. Rubio said last week that he had signed perhaps more than 300 letters revoking the visas of students, visitors and others to expel them from the United States because of their foreign policy views or criminal activities.
Last month, the French government said that a French scientist had been prevented from entering the United States because of an opinion he expressed about the Trump administration’s policies on academic research. But U.S. officials denied that, stating that the scientist had been turned away because he had “confidential” data from an American lab, not because of his personal beliefs.
Annie Correal contributed reporting.
Source link