Several high-rises in Bangkok evacuated amid likely aftershocks

Several high-rises in Bangkok evacuated amid likely aftershocks

Generate Key Takeaways

Several high-rise buildings in Bangkok have been evacuated on Monday after what appeared to be aftershocks, three days after a deadly 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck neighbouring Myanmar.

At least 1,700 people have died in Myanmar, with another 3,400 injured so far, state TV reported. Many people are still missing as the desperate search and rescue efforts continued on Monday in both Myanmar and neighbouring Thailand.

Officials have said the casualty figures could rise by thousands due to the proximity of populated areas and the vulnerability of many structures.

Aftershocks continue to be felt in the region, though no new quakes have been recorded by the US Geological Survey.

“I felt it, though it was much lighter than Friday’s quake,” an office worker in Bangkok’s Sathorn district told dpa. “I think the authorities just want to play it safe now,” he added.

Along with dozens of colleagues, the worker stood on the street in front of the Tisco Tower office building.

Other high-rise buildings, including the One Bangkok shopping mall, the Criminal Court building and various government offices, have also been evacuated as a precaution, according to the Khaosod newspaper and eyewitnesses.

Sirens from emergency vehicles could be heard throughout the city.


Source link

Oh hi there 👋
It’s nice to meet you.

Sign up to receive awesome content in your inbox, every week.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

More From Author

NHL playoff watch: The Stars’ path to the Central title

NHL playoff watch: The Stars’ path to the Central title

Israel Issues Evacuation Order for Southern Gaza

Israel Issues Evacuation Order for Southern Gaza

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *