World Cup 2026 qualifying: South Africa sweat over potential sanction

World Cup 2026 qualifying: South Africa sweat over potential sanction

South Africa are waiting to discover if they will be sanctioned for fielding an ineligible player in their 2026 Fifa World Cup qualifying victory over Lesotho last Friday.

Bafana Bafana midfielder Teboho Mokoena should have served a one-match ban after picking up yellow cards against Benin and Zimbabwe earlier in the campaign.

Instead the 28-year-old helped his side to a 2-0 win in Polokwane, and Lesotho have submitted a query to world governing body Fifa about the incident.

“We are hoping for them to respect their own regulations and act appropriately,” Lesotho Football Association secretary general Mokhosi Mohapi told BBC Sport Africa.

“Even if they just caution South Africa, it will be okay. If they give us the points, so be it. [It would be] the cherry on top.

“There’s no malice but it’s just that we are looking for the regulations to be adhered to. If it were us who had defeated South Africa, wouldn’t [they] do the same?”

The South African Football Association declined to comment when contacted by BBC Sport Africa.

Mokoena was withdrawn from the squad to face Benin in Tuesday’s qualifier and, after the 2-0 win that took his side five points clear at the top of Group C, national team coach Hugo Broos said the matter is “something that will be sorted over the next week”.


Source link

Oh hi there 👋
It’s nice to meet you.

Sign up to receive awesome content in your inbox, every week.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

More From Author

Gérard Depardieu denies allegations of sexual assault at combative trial

Gérard Depardieu denies allegations of sexual assault at combative trial

Not just running, try these 9 other outdoor exercises for weight loss

Not just running, try these 9 other outdoor exercises for weight loss

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *