Cornet set to return to tennis after retiring in May

Cornet set to return to tennis after retiring in May

PARIS — Less than a year after ending her tennis career, veteran Frenchwoman Alize Cornet is making a comeback.

Cornet said in a statement relayed by Rouen tournament organizers on Monday that she will be playing at the indoor clay-court event next month.

“You thought you’d got rid of me, but it’s not quite the case yet,” said Cornet, who added that she had resumed training two months ago.

Cornet retired last year after a 6-2, 6-1 loss to No. 7 seed Qinwen Zheng in the first round of the French Open.

The 35-year-old Cornet has been granted a spot in the main draw at Rouen through a wild card, organizers of the WTA 250 tournament said. The event runs from April 14-20.

Cornet reached a career-high ranking of No. 11 in 2009. She holds the women’s record for most consecutive Grand Slam tournaments played at 69, a streak that ran from the 2007 Australian Open to the 2024 French Open.

Her career highlights include defeating No. 1 Serena Williams in the third round at Wimbledon in 2014 and one major quarterfinal appearance, at the Australian Open in 2022.


Source link

Oh hi there 👋
It’s nice to meet you.

Sign up to receive awesome content in your inbox, every week.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

More From Author

Ulberg in unanimous decision win over Blachowicz

Ulberg in unanimous decision win over Blachowicz

Chad condemns Sudan’s airport threat as ‘declaration of war’

Chad condemns Sudan’s airport threat as ‘declaration of war’

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *