Chargers safety Elijah Molden has agreed to a contract extension with the Chargers, the team announced Thursday. The deal is for three years, according to a person familiar with the deal not authorized to speak publicly.
The contract, first reported by NFL Media, keeps Molden in L.A. after he was acquired by the Chargers in a trade from less than two weeks before the start of the 2024 season. He was set to become an unrestricted free agent next month.
Molden, 26, had a career year with the Chargers, starting 12 games with three interceptions and 75 tackles. He finished the year on injured reserve after breaking his left fibula in Week 17 against the New England Patriots, but said after the season that he anticipated a quick recovery because he avoided surgery on the injury. He was expecting to begin running again after only six weeks despite also requiring a minor surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee suffered during a different game.
Read more: Chargers to open 2025 NFL season in Sao Paulo in league’s return to Brazil
With one crutch propped up next to him while he cleaned out his locker, Molden said he had already communicated to the Chargers front office that he wanted to return after the team traded a seventh-round pick to Tennessee for him in August and inserted the former nickelback into the starting lineup at safety. He helped anchor the defense that led the NFL with 17.7 points allowed per game.
“This is a place that I would love to play,” he said last month. “This is a place where that kind of revitalized my career.”
This story originally appeared in Los Angeles Times.
Source link